|“Our goal is to allow the physician to prescribe medicine that fits the patient’s needs rather than fitting the patient to the medicine.”
Customized medication compounding allows us to formulate drugs that are not commercially available. By working with your doctor, our pharmacy can customize the strength and dosage form of a medication to your individual needs. The demand for professional compounding has increased as healthcare professionals and patients realize that the limited number of strengths and dosage forms that are commercially available do not meet the needs of many patients, and that these patients often have a better response to a customized dosage form that is “just what the doctor ordered.”
Compounding can be especially helpful for children and family pets that dislike the taste or texture of medications or have difficulty swallowing a solid dosage form and may involve:
- Preparing formulations without preservatives or dyes for a patient with allergies.
- Changing a formulation strength to meet an individual patient’s need.
- Using a wide variety of dosage forms such as capsules, topical skin preparations, lip balms, suppositories, lollipops, lozenges, liquid drops, and trans-dermal gels.
- Preparing liquid suspensions for those who cannot swallow a tablet or capsule.
- Flavoring medicine to improve its taste (tutti-frutti, grape, cherry, vanilla, etc.).
Customized medication compounding services can enhance many other areas of medicine including:
- Pain management
Eye and ear treatments
Come in and talk with our pharmacy staff about how compounded medications can help you!